Sunday, February 26, 2012

Parenting -or- seeing God in a different light

So this is gonna be a quick one because well, this is probably gonna be more like the opening to more blogs on this topic...


Working with kids, I see a lot of different parenting styles.  Now in my psychology classes in undergrad and grad school, we learned about the different parenting styles: authoritarian, authoritative, permissive and uninvolved.  

I am more of the authoritative type: we have rules, you choose to break the rules, you have to suffer the consequences.  Some people may think I'm too harsh, but to them I say, come talk to me in 15 years and we'll see then...  I'm really NOT that harsh and I do rely on more positive reinforcement than negative reinforcement.

As Hero is getting older and into his school-aged years, he is coming into contact with more peers who are allowed to do things that he is not allowed to do.  Based on my knowledge-base and experiences, there are things that he is just not allowed to do... period... no discussion.  Also he is coming into contact with peers who negotiate.  And he thinks that he can negotiate with us.  Ha.  I just have to set that boundary... "have we met, son?  I do not negotiate on these issues."  

So here is my point for this particular blog now that I've set the stage:  do you know how exhausting it is to not be a permissive or uninvolved parent?  It is hard work.  How easy would it be to let Hero do WHATEVER he wanted to do WHENEVER he wants to do it!  I know that I have told Hero the same thing 50 times at least.  I know that when I say, "if you do this again, you will not be allowed to do {fill-in-the-blank}", that I HAVE to be consistent and take away his privilege... or I lose my authority in the situation.  Being an involved parent is so exhausting that when he goes to bed at night, I pour myself on the couch in a puddle and just re-charge for the next day.

So through this realization, I am beginning to understand what it takes for God to be an involved parent in my life... it's more work than I appreciate.  When I think He is being mean or cruel because something hasn't gone my way, as a child, I do not have the perspective of understanding all the forethought that's going into His decisions towards me.  Or the boundaries He has set for me.  

This realization is taking me down another rabbit hole of understanding His grace and love for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment