Sunday, December 1, 2013

"It's Jesus' birthday all month long?!"

Today, on the way to church, my oldest son asked me a bajillion times when Christmas Day was. "Tomorrow?"
"No."
"Next week?"
"No.  In 25 days," I said, "today is the day we start the party for Jesus' birthday!  We get to party for the next 25 days!"
In his 6 year old excitement, I heard, "YES!!!!!  A party ALL month long for JESUS' birthday??!!!  Cake and ice cream EVERY DAY??!!"

Color me convicted.

I started this blog over about five times.  Christmas isn't the easiest time of year for everyone.  Some people swallow their grief and ignore it.  Some people drink it away.  I am lucky that I can be nostalgic without it putting me in the bed.  I don't want the reasons for my grief to get overshadowed by today's revelation.

But, wow...  Isn't that what Christmas is really about?  It's Jesus' birthday party for a solid month.  I was glad that I explained the symbolism of the lights and tree yesterday as we set it all up.  And you will forgive me if we ditch Santa another year as I tell my kids that the presents under the tree on Christmas Day represent the gift of Jesus...  Not just His life to be sacrificed for our sins but the gifts that He gives us all year long: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control....

I hope we can all catch a bit of Hero's excitement about Jesus' birthday party...


No comments:

Post a Comment