Thursday, June 30, 2011

Shouting at Thunder

My little son Hero teaches me so much and without even trying sometimes.   A few weeks ago, the weather changed from scorching hot and sunny to a thunderstorm.  The thunder started and Hero ran to me scared.  I told him not to be afraid that it was the thunder... that God was just moving His furniture around (something my mom told me as a child to calm my fear of the thunder).  I walked out of the living room into the bathroom to put some towels away when I heard thunder again.

Then I heard Hero yelling: "You shut up, thunder!  SHUT UP!  BE QUIET, Thunder! YOU STOP IT RIGHT NOW!"

I smiled to myself, but felt really proud of my boy too... so many times, I've been running away from the things that I fear and Hero was standing on the couch, ready to fight the thunder!

If only I could be so brave!  To shout back at the thunderstorms of my life because I know that the God that I serve is above and beyond those stormy skies... why should I be afraid?  why should I feel anxious?  God never promised an easy ride, but He said that He would be there right with us along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment