Friday, September 9, 2011

Hope on a Rope (Rahab)

Rahab has always struck me as a fascinating character in the Bible.  We are introduced to Rahab in Joshua 2 when the spies that Joshua sent into Jericho find themselves in her home.  But Rahab wasn't some preacher's daughter... oh no... she's a prostitute.  A woman of ill-repute.  Words I won't dare write down here.  So this woman who has no reason to think that the God of the universe would spare her life because of her, uhm, past... and probably, present... gives this speech to the spies about how she and her family have heard of the things that their God has been doing and they are afraid... and negotiates a deal with the spies to protect herself and her family (Joshua 2:9-13).  So they agree and tell her to put a scarlet cord (pun intended?) out of her window and to gather all her family there so that when the Israelites attack Jericho, they will be safe (Joshua 2:18).

There are times in my spiritual life that I feel like Rahab.  In my heart and my head, I've traveled so far from God.  I take circumstances in my own hands and then pitch a fit when the results are not optimal.  I worry about things that I've done instead of accepting God's grace.  Instead of putting my hope on a rope, like Rahab... I take matters into my own hands.

It took me too long to realize what I was doing... even now, with situations, I find myself picking up and worrying about things I don't need to worry about...

My son was so concerned Sunday about the sun being behind the clouds and where was the sun, mommy?  He was in a loop about it, asking me about 10 times before I said, "honey, why are you worrying about things you have no control over?"  My husband looked at me and said, "there's a sermon right there."

The difference between me and Rahab is that she had nothing to lose.  She was a prostitute.  Life was not rainbows and unicorns for her as it was.  Her town was about to get slaughtered.  If she trusted that the Lord would take care of her, she and her family survived.  But even if she trusted and they all died... well, worrying about the situation wasn't going to change it... she had nothing to lose by trusting... she put her hope on that rope out the window... that the Lord would honor her faith and her actions.  But in America, we've got to save face... we've got to keep up with the Joneses... we've got to pretend we are happy and we've got it all together...I know better than anyone that putting my "hope on a rope" means taking a risk sometimes... being vulnerable (which I hate to be)...

Rahab is mentioned later on in the Bible: Matthew 1: 5 where it's noted that she's one of Jesus's ancestors... which is awesome.  And then again in James 2:25-26: "In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction?  As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead."

The moments where I've truly allowed God to be Lord of my life... where I've taken off the car tag that says, "God's my co-pilot" and allowed Him to be Pilot... where I've just sat in His presence and sang songs to Him... when I open my eyes... He's got it all under control...

No comments:

Post a Comment