Friday, August 12, 2011

the 30s

One of my students made a smart-alack remark this week about my being older than dinosaurs.  It was really funny, because I'm only 33.  Whether a kid has a speech-language impairment or not, his idea of reality is always a bit skewed.  Which of course got me reflecting on my 30s vs. my 20s.  Granted I've not had a long life.  But I've had a challenging life.  So I'm not completely ignorant.  People have joked with me that I have an old soul... maybe that's why I like film noir....

Anywhoo... so, I was thinking about how in my 20s, Heath and I would get into all kinds of mischief.  Nothing bad really.  But we'd decide on Thursday to go out of town on Friday and we'd just go.  I wouldn't consider the consequences of my actions... I'd just do it.  Now, I stop and think and weigh my options and think about what Dave Ramsey would say.  And I have to factor in Hero's bed time...  It's just enough to say, "aw, I'm too tired to even care to do that."

Things have changed a lot too, with my relationship with Christ... I think the biggest thing is that I really do weigh a situation with the fruits of the Spirit... I am working really hard to bear fruit in my life.  I'm trying.  I'm not there yet.  But I'm trying.  And as a result I feel love, joy, peace, and patience... working on the others: kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. 

Philippians 1:6 (The Message):  There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment