Saturday, May 21, 2011

Buffy: The Musical

What would my life look like if Universal Studios made it into a movie?

When I was 16 years old, my friend died in a car accident.  My life changed in a hundred different ways.  I refused to drive a car.  I retreated from all my friends.  And I swore that, since I now knew how short life could be, that I would make sure that every day I did something to make a difference in this world.  Many years, medications, counseling sessions and divine interventions from the Lord, I now drive, I work to confront the problems around me... but I still swear to myself every day that I will make a difference in this world.

And I'm not fishing for compliments when I say that... It's just something that I feel passionate about... it's part of my personal theology... that a way to honor and glorify God is to make a difference for Him... to be His hands and feet... to comfort those who are hurting...

So I saw The King's Speech this week because one of the main characters is a speech therapist, like me.  (Apart from the cursing) I was inspired and encouraged as I watched Logue face challenges like I do with clients.

But I did start to think: what would my life look like as a movie?  Would it be a serious drama like "The King's Speech"?  Where the main characters are triumphant over the challenges they face?
Would it be a comedy? Like an Adam Sandler comedy?  Pointless, but good entertainment along the way.
Would it be an epic?  Like The Lord of the Rings trilogy?  
Or would it be a musical like "My Fair Lady" (which is also based on a pioneer in the field of Speech-Language Pathology: Henry Sweet)?  Where the main character learns some valuable lesson while feeling superior to those he is helping... that he's really the one helped out in the end? 

I'm not looking for answers, really... only to facilitate some thinking... that if we lived our lives in such a way that it might be made into a movie one day... would we do anything different?  If we lived in such a way that every little thing we do is to glorify God, how would it be different?

No comments:

Post a Comment