Tuesday, June 7, 2011

God's Rebuttal

Hurricane Season was extended for me this year.  Since mid-January, the rug's been pulled out from under me several different ways... and my post last night was all about the nickname I've given myself: "Much-Afraid."

This morning I woke up rebuking myself for what a coward I am acting like... this isn't like me at all... At least not the "me" that I want to be!  and when I read my Bible this morning, this is the verse: 2 Chronicles 20:15 --... Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not your, but God's....
So here is what I love about God...
Me:  whiny, whiny, whiny baby
God:  okay, if you have forgotten all that I've taught you... here are some friendly reminders...
Me:  whine, whine, whine... obsess, obsess, obsess, worry, worry, worry, scared, scared, scared...
God: *fire from Heaven*

I'll stop talking in metaphors... so I woke up saying to myself, "Buffy, you are not this coward anymore!  So stop being afraid of all this stuff God has already given you victory over!"  I went to my first school and was confronted with a gaggle of rabble-rousers and one person in tears.  This lady cried and cried and cried because she was afraid... it seemed like the more we tried to comfort her, the more she cried.  And after a while, I realized that what I was saying wasn't making a dent, so I walked away... but with the thought that this is what I may look like to God... He's been sending people my way and I've rejected them in my fear.

So when I got home from work, I could just already see God's hand in motion to work things out so that I could go to Eminent Worship tonight at Golden Acres Church in Phenix City.  Hero was having his nightly "I don't want to go to bed" crash party early... and he went down relatively easy.  Before I was out of my driveway, I was already praying and crying... when I entered the sanctuary, I was trying to hold it together... Then I looked in front of me: two sisters from my home church... then as the music started, another sister came up beside me...  With every pounding beat of drums, I could feel God chiseling away at the calcification of bitterness and fear around my heart.... and what happened after that... I can only say it was all ordered by God... Praying with my sister-girls was amazing and so encouraging... and then just to worship and sing and tell the enemy that he's a liar... just what the doctor ordered...

So the moral of this story, boys and girls, is that God is a mindful God... and He is faithful to meet us where we are at... and demonstrate His goodness and might... for the one-hundred-thousandth time...

3 comments:

  1. You are so precious Buffy! I love your tender heart for the Lord and your tenacity to not give up!!! Thank you for sharing your blog with me. I think your new name is "Much Conquered" !!!! Beleive it in faith! I love later on in that story it says...and they had rest on every side. Claiming rest on every side for you!! Love, hugs, and prayers to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good one, sweetie! This encouraged me too because you can still, at age 60, fall off the wagon and forget and have to be reminded by our faithful God that HE IS ABLE!

    ReplyDelete