Friday, July 15, 2011

sometimes He's quiet

This has been an interesting week for me.  My body and mind are exhausted from the first full week back at work.  My heart is full with all the good things in my life.  But this week has been relatively quiet- spiritually speaking.  Ten days ago, I attended Eminent Worship and Sunday I sang with the worship team... it was a loud week (but wonderful to be immersed in His presence).

And this week's been on the quiet end... came up against some disappointing moments- moments that's made me question a lot but nothing earth-shattering....  But I realized tonight, how quiet God had been.

You know that I talk for a living... as a speech-language pathologist, ALL I do ALL day long is talk... because one of the things about working with kids who have difficulty speaking is that someone needs to speak for them on their behalf outside of the physicality of teaching these kiddos how to communicate.  It's strange that I'm in this field because I'm not much of a talker by nature- which people sometimes take the wrong way... like my husband:  after a long day, if I'm not talking much once I get home, he sometimes ask if I'm angry... when in truth, I am just tired of talking.

I wonder if that's how it is with God-- I often jump to the "oh, maybe He's mad at me" conclusion when maybe there just isn't anything to say... or maybe He wants me to see Him in a different way- without the thunderbolts and writing on the wall.  I don't know if God is just sitting back and chuckling to Himself, letting His actions speak instead... maybe He's just letting me rest after the over-stimulation or if it's just one of those times where words are not necessary in a relationship- knowing that He's there is sometimes enough... tonight's been one of those nights... I don't really need anything from Him... I just need to know that He's here...

So how do you respond when God's quiet?  Do you bum-rush Him and flail around for a sensational moment at the alter?  Do you run away- assuming that He's angry and doesn't want anything to do with you?  Or do you sit quietly at His feet and just relish in the knowledge that we are His?

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written. Me? I sit quietly, just thankful He is there.

    ReplyDelete