Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Santa Complex



So I've got this new theory... and it's totally unfounded... and something that I'm just starting to formulate, but here it is: I call it "The Santa Complex."

Too many times over this holiday, I have heard other adults tell my child, or I have said myself "you better behave, Santa's watching you."  It struck me yesterday afternoon as I said this again to my son as he was misbehaving.  I started thinking about the child who remarked to me, "I'm gonna be good because I want Santa to come visit me."

I mean, the idea is good, after all, and based on positive reinforcement which I use with every kid that I come in contact with.  You do something good... you get a prize...

But there was a time in my life where I knew that I did and said all the right things and yet, bad things happened to me.  I couldn't get my head wrapped around it.  The theology of it all didn't make sense.  Grace and mercy were preached to me and yet, we all expected life to be easy-breezy if we followed the 10 Commandments.

Is the reason that we all struggle with our negative feelings and say out loud, "I know that I shouldn't feel this way" is because we have The Santa Complex?  That if we feel or think one little bitty thing out of line that "Santa won't come to see us", in a sense?  That Jesus will abandon us if we feel feelings that are natural and even appropriate for a bad situation?

I'm not encouraging us to wallow in our pain or issues (nor am I talking about our sins that we have to suffer the consequences of)... but I am saying that I've come to a point in my life where I realize that I wasted a lot of time ignoring negative emotions when I could have just processed them and moved on.

I am just wondering if we, as Christians, shoot ourselves in the foot by perpetuating the myth about Santa... even as adults, do we cling to the idea that life is supposed to be without trouble and pain because we "do the right thing?"


I have no real resolution to this issue... because I still feel guilty about feeling sad or angry or hurt over situations from time to time.  I am currently overwhelmed about this phase of my life and then I feel guilty because I'm overwhelmed with a lot of good stuff... how crazy does that sound?  (don't answer that)


BUT despite my shortcomings, I know that God loves me very much and that He is very near to me during this time of my life and that He will take care of all that I cannot take care of.


Merry Christmas to you all! 






No comments:

Post a Comment