Sunday, July 1, 2018

jericho

jericho
sometimes
you just have to keep
walking
run when you can
walk when you can
crawl when you have to
SHOUT at the wall 
to
   come
            tumbling
                          down
    in His Name 
jericho.

“you ain’t from around here, huh?”
that’s another way to say “you don’t belong.”
I’ve “not belonged” for 18 years now.
I’ve never felt I belonged even in my home town.
until Christ Community invited me to jump in the River
then God told us to move with the plant
it’s not till this moment that God was asking me to let Him plant me
back in the very community that said 
“you ain’t from around here, huh?”
Naw
I ain’t from around here.
I grew up in a trailer park in South Mississippi.
I’m still paying off student loans.
My earthly father rejected me.
every day I realize more and more how much I do not have figured out.
I’ve never been more uncomfortable than I have this past year coming to this particular place. Ichobad? I wanted to leave and not return. Nope: this is my Jericho- my sons’ birth rights. Our Canaan. 
I don’t have it figured out yet. I don’t know what or why or how.
I am Esther.
I am Joshua.
I am Rahab.
Running.
Walking.
Shouting.
Crawling.
Keep on.
He has marched around the hard wall of my heart 
and the walls 
fall
down



No comments:

Post a Comment