Saturday, April 16, 2011

is this what I sound like?

I am realizing so much about my relationship with God through my relationship with my son.

Now, my disclaimer is that I do very much realize how privileged I am to have a son.  I love my son with every fiber of my being.  I am so psycho about my son... like The-Bride-from-Kill-Bill psycho about my son.  So please don't bring that into question as I am exploring this epiphany I just had.

My son has been really sick over this weekend... Not to the point where I was ever really worried, but certainly to the point where I am (present tense) exhausted emotionally, physically and mentally.  He was vomiting and ran a fever and it was just gross in a hundred different ways.

But a new day has dawned and, boy howdy, does he feel better!  He is running all over this house like a mad man.  But he is mostly just whining... and whining... and whining some more... and demanding... demanding... demanding...

I had to run to Target and we went through the toy section because I thought I'd get him a prize for being such a trooper... well, he whined and complained to the point that we walked away with no new toy.  But tonight so whiny and so complainy... Like the dripping of a faucet sink...

I wonder if this is how we sound to God... does He ever get exasperated with us and outdone with our constant complaining and constant whining?

But the thing of it is: no matter how much Hero complains and whines, I am not going to go away... I am still going to be here- filling up his sippy cup and making grilled cheese sandwiches.  Washing his bear and blanket for the 50th time because he puked all over them -- again.  Holding him tight until the fever leaves him.  Holding him while he heaves over the toilet.

And so it is with God.... He is not going away.  He promised to supply all of our needs.  He holds us tight until the pain goes away.

He is.... always... constant... loving... regardless...

No comments:

Post a Comment