Wednesday, April 20, 2011

*You Are Mine*


Max Lucado wrote a book called “God thinks you are wonderful.”  It’s hard for me to wrap my head around that…. always has been… In “God think you are wonderful,” Lucado writes, “If God has a refrigerator; your picture would be on it.” 

When my son, Hero, was about 3 weeks old, I watched him sleep one afternoon.  He started to fuss a little, but settled down again into sleep.  And his mouth settled into that cute little fish-mouth.  I prayed, “God, I love this kid.”  Then the thought occurred to me… this must be what God feels for us.  This kid hasn’t done anything to make me proud of him… he hasn’t done anything for me… in fact, he's cost me quite a bit of physical pain and some money too.

But I love him just because he is mine… 

and that is how God feels about us… He loves us just because we belong to Him.  We don’t have to do anything magical or awesome… He loves us anyway.

In a world where you have to perform to prove your worth, it is nice to know that there is Someone who loves me just like I am… Someone who loves me anyway… I’ve always worked to get people’s approval.  I always felt that I had to do something to show that I was worth having around.  It wasn’t until I had Hero that the concept of grace clicked for me in such a real way.  I hope it doesn’t take you that long to experience God’s acceptance of you.  Jesus’ death on the cross bridged the gap… And God sent Him to that task because we are His.

No comments:

Post a Comment